Thursday, June 13, 2013

Top 10 quotes from Kanye West’s whacky interview with the NYT

Weird rapper, Kanye West recently did an interview with the New York Times to promote his latest album “Yeezus.” Like any keen observer of Mr. West will expect, the interview was filled with his usual “I’m the best thing since sliced bread” rhetorics. He even compares himself to Steve Jobs in this epic quote: “I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture.”
No, you are Steve Jobs of tooting your own horn and trying to shove your genius down our throats.
“Respect my trendsetting abilities,” he says for the umpteenth time since College Dropout unleashed him on an ill-prepared world.
Here are some of my favourite quotes.
1. Kanye on Kanye:
“I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things.”
2. On winning the Grammys:
“I don’t know if this is statistically right, but I’m assuming I have the most Grammys of anyone my age, but I haven’t won one against a white person.”
Also:
“I don’t care about the Grammys; I just would like for the statistics to be more accurate.”
3. On Kim Kardashian:
“I just see like, an amazing person that I’m in love with that I want to help.”
4. On his tendency to go off script especially at award shows:
“It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That’s all it is.”
5. On 808 and Heartbreaks (the album on which he sings almost throughout and very badly.):
“Yeah. I love the fact that I’m bad at [things], you know what I’m saying? I’m forever the 35-year-old 5-year-old. I’m forever the 5-year-old of something.”
6. On his inevitable fame:
“I knew when I wrote the line “light-skinned friend look like Michael Jackson” [from the song “Slow Jamz"] I was going to be a big star.”
7. On his impending baby:
“Like, this is my baby. This isn’t America’s baby.”
8. On his current style:
“Yeah, kill self. That’s all I have to say. Kill self.”
9. On his public image:
“The idea of Kanye and vanity are like, synonymous.”
10. On being an innovator:
“Yeah, respect my trendsetting abilities. Once that happens, everyone wins.”

There are other “Seriously!”/eye roll worthy quotes from the interview. These may not even been the best. Read the full interview here: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/arts/music/kanye-west-talks-about-his-career-and-album-yeezus.html

No comments:

Post a Comment